GENERAL INFORMATION FOR VISITORS TO SOUTH AFRICA
South Africa is a wonderful country with a wide diversity of cultures, a rich history and magnificent natural beauty.
Below are a few points to keep in mind when traveling in South Africa:
- The crime rate in South Africa is higher than in many countries, and it is advisable to take the normal precautions, such as planning your route, not walking alone after dark, etc.
- South Africans drive on the left side of the road, and generally treat roundabouts (traffic circles) as 4-way stops.
- Electricity supply is at 240 V and 50 Hz (http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm).
- VAT is charged at 14% on all purchases except fresh fruit and vegetables and a few basic items.
- Tips at restaurants is generally 10% of the bill